2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Monday, May 7, 2012

A Homeschool Post

I looked at the banner under my blog name recently and noticed how it said this is a blog about life, homeschool and adoption.


I think I've blogged quite a few times about adoption as well as about our life in general.  But I haven't done a single post on Homeschool.  Well, I've mentioned homeschooling in maybe 2 posts, but I've never dedicated an entire post to homeschooling.


Why?  I'm not sure.  It can sometimes be a touchy subject and part of me just doesn't want to offend someone.  


I don't think homeschooling is for everyone.  And honestly, I don't care if a family homeschools or not.  I'm only responsible for my decisions and the decision to homeschool has worked very well for our family.


That doesn't mean every day we homeschool is a good day.  There are quite a few days when I wonder what in the world we are doing.  But most days, I am thankful that we made the decision to homeschool.


As a result of homeschooling, our family is closer.  Because of my husband's weird work schedule, if my kids were in a public, private or charter school there would be days on end where they wouldn't get to see their dad.  By the time they would get home from school, he'd be getting ready for work.   So, it works for us due to the flexibility in scheduling.


As a result of homeschooling, my kids are close friends.  I'm not at all saying that this isn't possible unless you homeschool, as my kids have always been close.  But now they are both teens and they are still good friends because they spent a lot of time together and really know and enjoy each other.


As a result of homeschooling, we as parents really enjoy our teens.  I've posted before that my kids are "weird" but that I like they are different from what we call the "normal" teen.  We laugh together, we frustrate each other and we learn together.  We do enjoy our time apart, but we also enjoy our time together.

Homeschooling works for our family.  It doesn't work for everyone and that's just fine by me.

This coming month is our state's annual Homeschool Conference.  I'm looking forward to creating my color coded schedule of who is going to what session as well as my list of books to buy.  I'm looking forward to spending time with other friends that I know are going.  I'm looking forward to finishing another year and planning for the upcoming one.

So, while I may not blog regularly about homeschooling, it is a huge part of our life.  While it's not easy, for us it's been worth it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment