2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Monday, September 12, 2011

Can I brag for a minute?

My husband is great!  Now, I am well aware that he is not perfect, so I'm not saying that at all....  But today I'm going to brag on him a little as it is a special day for him.  Even though he was promoted to Sgt back in January and moved back to Patrol February 1st, today is the Promotion Ceremony for him, and for all the deputies that have been promoted so far this year.

I know Rich isn't making that big of a deal about today.  He's worked this new job long enough for the newness to have worn off.  He's had his new badge and ID for months, so there's nothing too exciting about that.

In a thankless job, it's nice to be honored and thanked every now and then.  The issues that Rich has to deal with practically every day he's on shift is more than I'd be able to put up with.  But his personality is perfect for being in law enforcement.

Rich is even tempered, patient, hard working and loyal.  He doesn't mind getting up at 4:30 or 5:30am to work a 12+ hour shift filled with complaints, paperwork, phone calls and non stop work.  He has no problem with missing a night's sleep every time he starts night shift, even though we try to let him sleep in.  He has such a good reputation at work that he is often asked to do extra things above and beyond his job description, which he does without complaint.  Sometimes, though, having that good reputation can add even more stress.  Rich was asked in January to handle the case of his Lt who had committed suicide.  After all the dead bodies and autopsies he has seen in his career, it's different when it's someone you've worked with for years.  That was so hard for him, but he did his job well and that makes such an impression on me and on our children.

So, today I am thankful for my husband!  Not only is he a wonderful father, diligent worker, but he is my best friend.  I helped write the bio that will be read at the ceremony today (because Rich was so busy working!) and I was sure to include not just his career accomplishments, but the character he has that the kids and I admire in him.  I think that's important for people to know today.  While I am quite nervous about standing up in front of people to pin his badge on today, I'm very proud to be the one to stand by him on this special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment