2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Monday, September 26, 2011

Welcome to Fall?!

I should know better by now.... I've lived in the South for 20 years and experienced what is considered the "Fall" season down here.  It should be no shock to me that the first week after Fall arrived on the calendar we will see lower to mid 80's all week.  YUCK!

I LOVE the Fall!  Growing up in NY, when we headed back to school after the Labor Day weekend, we were already wearing jeans and soon enough we would be wearing sweaters and looking forward to snow days.  Down here, it is safe to assume we will be wearing shorts well into October.

But sometime in October, we will finally experience the changing of the seasons.  The temperatures WILL turn cooler and the air WILL become more crisp.  We will be able to sit outside by the firepit or in the screened porch and not sweat.  Heck, we may even need to put a jacket on!  

I'm a schedule kind of girl (for those of you who know me well, this comes as no surprise to you!) and I am feeling the need to actually schedule times to sit and enjoy the Fall weather on my October calendar.  I don't want the time to move so quickly that we miss it.  I see all that is going on in October (and frankly until February) and I don't want to get caught up in the busyness that I forget to sit with my family and enjoy the quiet.

If I start thinking too much about my "To Do List": School, soccer games, Rich's normal crazy shifts and even crazier off duty schedule (for October at least), planning Julia's Purity Weekend (yes, I'm a little behind with that!), Thanksgiving, Christmas, Matthew's 16th birthday and Julia's 14th (2 days apart in January) and then Rich's 40th birthday in February.... I can feel VERY overwhelmed with all of the planning that needs to happen in the coming months to get everything done.  And I didn't even mention our Homestudy visits and turning in all of our foster care and adoption paperwork!

It is so important in the busyness of life to take some time to sit and be still.  In fact, it's not just important, it is necessary.  It's a time to take a break from all there is to do, but more importantly to sit and meditate on who God is and what He has done and what He wants me to be doing.  I don't want to get so caught up in my list that I miss an opportunity God puts before me......

               Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God...."

No comments:

Post a Comment