2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Friday, September 30, 2011

My Kids are Weird!

I have 2 teenagers..... I know there are many people who would cringe after reading that.  But my kids are weird and don't behave like the "typical" teen and so I really enjoy having 2 teenagers in my house!

Let me first say that my kids are not perfect (and neither am I, which creates an interesting dynamic)!  They don't always listen, they don't always treat each other with kindness, and they don't always have the same goals and standards that I have for them!

But, they just don't seem to be like other teenagers.  They are not obsessed with the latest fashions, gadgets, music or movie stars.  (Ok, so maybe Julia is a little obsessed with texting!)  They don't know what the newest trends are or what is considered "cool".  And we are all ok with that.  They enjoy serving others (in fact, it was their idea to focus on orphans at the beginning of the last school year......read my earlier blog posts to see where that has led our family!), studying the Bible and being challenged (not in ALL areas, but in enough to be considered "different"!).

Several years ago, I read a book called "The Myth of Adolescence: Raising Responsible Children in an Irresponsible Society" by David Alan Black.  Basically, the book talks about how adolescence is a modern term and we wrongly use it to absolve teens of responsibility.  Think about how many times you have said or heard things such as "Oh, well, he's a teen so that ______ is expected!"  Fill in the blank with examples like: eye rolling, attitude, not wanting to spend time with you, disobedience, rebellion, sexual activity, experimenting with drugs, etc.  "Experts" tell us that teens are wired to rebel during those adolescent years, but the Bible tells us otherwise.  1 Timothy 4:12 says "Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity." 

When I hear other people complain about their teens, I try to hold my tongue.  I don't want to give the impression that my teens are perfect (because they're not!) or that I am a wonderful parent (because I'm not!) or anything like that.  I honestly can say that I have not created these 2 wonderful teens that Rich and I love to spend time with!  It has been all God, who has allowed us to have a part in their lives, but who has, with His power and spirit, worked in their lives to produce the young adults that they are becoming.

Our kids do like talking to and spending time with their friends.  They have some good friends, so we don't mind them doing that.  We don't spend every moment with each other, but we enjoy spending time together!  We play board or card games, watch movies, play tennis, read a book together, go on vacations, run errands, or even just talk!  They don't mind doing chores or helping out when needed. That's weird, I know!  Rich and I have decided that we actually prefer "weird" over "typical", which is why I have no problem with saying that "My kids are weird!"

No comments:

Post a Comment