2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Never-ending Classes......

I have another adoption class tomorrow....and the next Saturday.....and the next!

We've already taken 40 hours of class (plus several hours of homework) for our MAPP (Model Approach to Partnership in Parenting) training, as well as 8 additional hours in training as a Therapeutic Parent.  At our last MAPP class, we learned we needed 24 more hours of training time and that the classes were in September.  Unfortunately, Rich works Saturdays in September so he'll have to make up the class some other time.  He already took 3 days off in July to complete the MAPP training and it's not as easy to take days off when there are only 3 Sgts as opposed to being one out of 24 deputies working that shift.  And so he'll take a class here and there over the next year that they give him to complete that training.

I'm not really complaining about having to go.  The class time seems to move quickly and you always learn something new.  I figure it's better to know all of the worst case scenario situations and never use the information than to feel like we're on our own.

We're really hoping that as I finish these classes in September, we can also begin our Homestudy meetings.  The social worker in charge of adoptions for the organization we are using left in mid June.  Silly us, we thought in a state with 10% unemployment, they'd find a replacement in a week.  Well, someone was just hired last week.  So now I'm thinking maybe our Homestudy will be complete and submitted to the State by the end of October.  September and October are traditionally crazy months for Rich at work and this year is no different, so we're praying for our first meeting to be scheduled soon to get this started!

Looking back, I am remembering that I made the first call to ask about adoption in late April..... My guess is it will take at least 9 months from then before we are ready to begin the matching process....much like having your own child (but for me, without the sickness!).....

No comments:

Post a Comment