2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Friday, December 9, 2011

24 hours of Tragedy

Psalm 34:17-18 "The righteous cry out and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.  The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart and saves such as have a contrite spirit."

What a day it was yesterday.  It started off normally, I'd say.  Then the news started pouring in.....

An officer shot at Virginia Tech..... A deputy shot in Moore County, NC.... It took hours to get details, and when they were given they weren't good.  Both of those men had been murdered.

The deputy was a retired police chief, with a wife, a son and 2 grandchildren.  The VT officer was an Army veteran, husband and father of 5.  Wow.... my brain couldn't really grasp it all.

Then another news report that evening of a Virginia State Trooper shot and injured.  I don't know any more of the extent of his injuries.  Then other reports overnight of 3 officers shot and injured in the Oklahoma City area.

WOW....  Now, I'm not a worrier, but I can say that this increased violence does concern me.  But I'd never tell that to my husband.  I don't want him distracted at work with being concerned about me, I want him focused on his job and getting home each night.  


There have been 147 in the line of duty deaths in the US so far this year.  Far more have been shot and injured and many others have been in car accidents.

I know that it is dangerous driving on the highway each day.  Everyone is at risk of leaving for work, school or errands and not making it back home.  To top that inherent risk off, my husband straps on a bullet proof vest and 20 lbs of gear each day to deal with people who don't regard his life very highly.  Some, as happened in NC and VA yesterday, would not think twice about killing an officer before killing themselves.  

I've never seen a reaction like my husband had last night when he heard on the news that the shooter in the NC case had previously told a neighbor that he'd rather die than go to jail.  My husband said "Then why didn't he just kill himself and be done with it?  Why did he have to murder the deputy?!"  And then he went to sleep.... He's exhausted from a long week of early mornings and working late.

It doesn't always make sense.....Life in general doesn't make sense sometimes.  Thankfully, I know that my God is in control in the middle of the chaos, He is not taken by surprise when tragedy happens, and He has a plan that is better than any I could have!  And it's in these times that don't make sense that we can cling to those promises. 

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you WILL have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment