2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It's All About Me.....

1 Corinthians 10:31 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  

I have a confession.... I love sugar!  This time of the year, you can find me with candy corn.  Around Christmas, it is Hershey kisses or candy canes.  In the spring, you can count on jelly beans being in my house.

While it's not a problem in itself to enjoy sweet treats, it does become a problem when they are eaten in excess in order to satisfy the cravings of my flesh.  It is sugar for me (ok, I like salty things such as chips, too!), but it may be something else for you.  It may not even be food, but a certain tv show or other habit you've grown accustomed to giving into.
 
In the above Scripture, we are reminded to do everything to the glory of God.  So, keeping that in mind, I need to check my heart motives behind my eating.  I do know that I like to snack in the evenings, especially when Rich is working.  That is not necessary eating, but simply because I want to.  It is giving into the selfish desires to please myself instead of pleasing God.

I know many people would say that all I need is a little willpower and that is how I can deal with this situation.  But since it is me who has gotten myself into this, it would be foolish to think that I could get myself out of it!  It is not by my power that I can do it, but with God's.  Since God was able to create the entire world, I think He is able to give me His strength to conquer fleshy cravings!

What I plan to do (and now I actually might do it with there being others who know about it!) is every time I crave salty or sweet snacks, I'm going to pause and ask God for the wisdom to decide if this is appropriate or selfish.  If it is selfish, I need to replace the time spent eating with prayer, Bible reading, spending time with my husband or kids, or doing something productive.

So, what is your craving?  What have you tried to do to get rid of it?  Have you tried asking God for the strength to get through it?

No comments:

Post a Comment