2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I Just Have to Say......

I wasn't going to post today because we have so much to do.....  But, I was so impressed (not in a prideful way) with something I did that I just had to share.

I've been making a lot of homemade things over the past few years and I will discuss that more in future posts.  One item I have been making is homemade chicken broth.  Normally I make it on the stove, with varying results. 

This week, I made it in the Crock Pot (2 Crock Pots, actually) and it was the best looking (and smelling!) stuff ever!

Here's what I did:  I needed some cooked chicken breasts for a few meals, so I put 5 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts in 2 Crock Pots (3 in one and 2 in the other) with about a cup of water in each.  I sprinkled the chicken with a homemade spice rub.  Then I let it cook for about 5-6 hours.  We (or rather, my husband) picked the chicken off the bone to use in future recipes.  Then we put the chicken bones and skin back in the Crock Pots.  I added water to the juices that were left over from cooking to fill up the pot.  I also added carrots, unpeeled, celery (probably a month old from my fridge) and an onion (with the peel and all) to the mixture.  Then I covered the pots and cooked them on low overnight.  It probably ended up being close to 18 hours cooking.

Then I drained the mixture into a large bowl so that the vegetables, skin and bones were strained out.  What I was left with was a deep colored, wonderful smelling, homemade chicken broth!  We all commenting on the delicious smell it had while it was cooking, but I seemed to be the only one in the family who was so excited about the great looking color!

I'll use the broth in recipes that call for broth, of course, but also in making brown rice too.  It should give a nice flavor to our meals.

From now on, I'll be making broth in my Crock Pots instead of on the stove.  So easy and delicious too!

Chicken Broth I am saving to use in Cheeseburger Soup on Sunday!  Yum!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment