2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

Monday, January 2, 2012

Goals for 2012

I know this is the time of year that people make New Year's Resolutions and then proceed to break every resolution by the end of January.  

I'm not one for the traditional New Year's Resolutions, but I do like to make goals for the upcoming year.  I know it's basically the same thing, but I seem to have a better chance at succeeding at my goals than with my Resolutions.

So, I've broken my goals down into 5 main categories.  If I have many more than that, there's no chance that I will get any of them done because it's too overwhelming and it's too much change.  I've seen that in my life in the past, so I'm not going to go there again.

1.  Read through the Bible in a Year: The kids and I have been reading through the Bible as part of their school studies, but I want to also do this in a year on my own.  I have a Bible that breaks it down by the day, incorporating the Old Testament, a Psalm, a Proverb and the New Testament into each day.

2.  Read more: I am currently reading "Parenting the Hurt Child" and it is excellent.  Next on the list is "Raising Adopted Children" as well as "Radical Together" by David Platt.  I want to read some good books on adoption, parenting and books by good Christian authors such as David Platt and Francis Chan.

3.  Exercise: This is usually on everyone's Resolution list and it's on my goals list for yet another year.  With my husband's change in work schedule in 2011, it's been hard to find a routine for walking or jogging together.  It's my goal in 2012 to exercise in some form at least 3 times a week.  This could be playing soccer or basketball with the kids, taking a walk with my husband, or doing an exercise video.  The point is to get moving and be healthy.

4.  Marriage and Family:  These are broad areas, but I'm breaking down my goals in this way.....  
  • Continue with monthly Date Nights
  • Re-evaluate and recommit in our Homeschooling- what's working, what's not, make any changes, but keep going!
  • Family Game Nights each week
  • Deliberate time with the kids, especially after we add to the family
  • Spend more time outdoors as a family- soccer, basketball, hiking, walks, etc.  This will also help with my exercise goal!
  • Listen to good books on audio CD


5.  Ministry: This also needs to be broken down into smaller areas....
  • Mentoring- I'm in two mentoring relationships.  I need to be certain to spend an adequate amount of time with each woman, as well as the 3 of us together.
  • LEOW Ministry- This is in the infancy stage, but myself and another department wife are looking into forming a group (through Facebook or email) where we can provide support and encouragement for the wives in our husbands' department.  Looking back, I needed something like this when my husband was first starting out and I was dealing with the crazy schedule, long hours and job stress.  
  • Family Mission Trip- Our church is taking one this summer and we'd love to go.  We'll see what God has in store for us in this area.

And so I'm reminded that even though these are my plans and goals for this year, I have to be flexible enough to follow where God leads our family.  

Proverbs 16:3 "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."

Proverbs 19:21 "Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." 

No comments:

Post a Comment